Sexual harassment has become rampant and common among women in Kenya and the world at large. Several women face physical, social media and call/SMS sexual harassment.
According to a report released by Truecaller on 05/03/2020
- 1 out of 5 women in Kenya receives sexual harassment calls and SMS
- Inmates are some of the biggest harassers
- Women in Nairobi & Mombasa are the most affected by sexual and inappropriate calls & SMS
- Few women takes action against harassment calls/SMS
A research conducted by Ipsos showed that,
- Sexual and inappropriate calls are common among women in Nairobi, where 1 out of 5 women receive this type of communication.
- 47% of all the sexual harassment calls/SMS comes from inmates in Kenya, and 53% come from unknown people. The fact that the harassers are selecting women at random to harass is perplexing and irritating, especially in a country like Kenya where that level is high.
- Despite it being common for women to receive sexual or inappropriate calls and SMS, there’s a concerningly low percentage of women who think these types of calls constitute harassment. Only 11% of all women who have received sexual harassment calls/SMS consider it as harassment.
- Women in urban areas are being the most affected by sexual harassment calls/SMS.
The research by Ipsos also indicated that women who face this form of harassment react in anger and irritation. Only 6% of the victims take action against harassment calls.